This project is read-only.

SCORM API

Topics: Developer Forum
Nov 4, 2009 at 2:09 PM

Hello Geeks,

Do anyone know in what language is SCORM API written.

As per the ADI Guidelines the SCORM API is written in ECMA Script(Javascript).

If we write our own API in C# will it be SCORm compliant and whther that API is used in Scorm compliant LMS

Jan 4, 2010 at 1:29 AM

Greetings!

I ran across this project looking to avoid doing the same thing for work ;-)

Per my understanding and experience working with SCORM, the JavaScript/ECMAScript API is nothing more than a set of 5 JavaScript methods that must be present for a SCORM-compliant course to call (Initialize(), Terminate(), GetValue(), SetValue(), Commit(), GetLastError() and GetDiagnostic()). Likewise, return values must be formatted as strings and follow special rules. Aside from that, how you get from the JavaScript intermediary (for want of a better way of putting it) to the server is up to you.

As I understand the ADL guidelines, as written in the 2004 4th ed spec, the LMS' implementation can be in any language. The interface between a SCO and the LMS, however, is the JavaScript API.

Mar 12, 2010 at 7:43 PM

The API methods must be available to the SCO via JavaScript. I have seen three different ways of doing this, a pure JavaScript API Adapter, a Java Applet and an ActiveX control. These are present on the Client Side and makes those methods available to the SCO. How you implement the communication to the LMS Server side and your Server Side code is not defined as it allows the developer(s) to create the solution that works for them. The JavaScript solution like we utilize DotNetSCORM is the one that will have the most portability. I have seen plenty of Java implementations that have constant problems with Java versions (i.e. people using old versions, or new version causing issues with the API adapter) causing support indidents. ActiveX is an IE only solution, so it can only be effective behind the firewall where a compny is an MS only shop.